Thursday, February 12, 2015

What Qualifies as a "Book"? | Sofia Speculates (4)



"a handwritten or printed work of fiction or nonfiction, usually on sheets of paper fastened or bound together within covers" ---Dictionary.com

If only it were that simple

Today I am here to discuss with you a topic only some bloggers/readers care about.


If I could be one of those super secure readers that are fine with reading however many books as they can, I would be. 

But I'm not

The Goodreads Challenge is something a lot of bloggers/readers with goodreads accounts don't even bother participating in. It causes unnecessary stress to quantify reading, which is something so sacred. Reading allows you the chance to escape to worlds that don't actually exist, and the last thing you want to do is stress out over whether you are "behind" or "ahead" in reading. 


There is already an issue and debate about the validity of the Goodreads Challenge because a 20 page novella is ranked the same way as a George R.R. Martin book. Before diversifying my reading, I never had this issue. I read novels. That was it. No "Ifs" "Ands" or "Buts." 

This was already an issue before, but in January, I read two graphic novels and a novella.

Which adds a whole NEW level of stress to the Goodreads Challenge!

The time and effort it took me to read all three works of literature was drastically less than it would to read a regular YA novel. I am in no way trying to devalue novellas and graphic novels. I think they are wonderful types of "books" to read.

The Goodreads Challenge just makes it hard to decide whether or not to count them. If you don't know the difference between marking a book as READ versus it appearing on the GOODREADS CHALLENGE, this is it -


It's that simple, yet it's not. I personally love the fact that you can mark down what day you start and finish a book. Goodreads is the way to go if your memory fails you when trying to remember what/how many books you have read. I could just mark a book as READ and be done with it all. Yet, Goodreads has just set it up so easily and I really want to know what I have read easily (especially when you look at books read and how Goodreads organizes them).

So this is the conclusion I have come to. 

I am going to count all pieces of literature on my Goodreads Challenge as long as they are over 50 pages. But I will specify (in wrap-ups and such) between Novels/Novellas/Graphic Novels.

I know this is an uncharacteristically short speculation on my part, but I really want to know what you do when you are in my dilemma. 

Do you even participate in the Goodreads Challenge? If not, how do you keep track of read books?
What counts as a "book"?
Do you count graphic novels/novellas in your Goodreads Challenge?

Disclaimer: Besides the signature and discussion banner, I do not own, nor do I claim to own any of the images in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...