Monday, February 16, 2015

My Conclusion About Slumps | Sofia Speculates (5)

Let's see, it's almost one in the morning on Valentines Day, the person I would want to spend this day with is leaving for his winter vacation, I haven't felt like blogging/YouTubing/reading for weeks, and I should really be asleep right now. It's the perfect time of day to compose another Sofia Speculates!

Did you know that February is classically the most unproductive month of the year besides December? I totally just made that fact up, but you believed it, didn't you? I think after all of us work our butts off in January saving the world (or just completing new years resolutions), we get kind of burnt out. I know I am. This happened last February as well (but I actually had a good excuse back then), and I think it might happen every February for the rest of my life. I was on fire in January, if I do say so myself (which I am). I was productive, created new features/series, and overall was loving life, my blog, and books. 


Then February came....

Nearly over night, the desire to be productive came tumbling down, kind of like the stock market crash that started the great depression. It's the 14th of the month and I have only read four books, which if you know Sofia, that means that I haven't read very much this month. Even though my last two reads All The Bright Places and The Walled City have been enjoyable, they took for FOREVER to get through. 


I have tried forcing myself to sit down and write. I have tried hyping myself up with too much sugar, then standing in front of the camera, not knowing what to say. I am currently reading five different novels because no particular one is holding my interest.  

Yet I have come to a conclusion that is life-changing, sensical, and lazy.... all at the same time. 

I'm not going to force myself to do anything.

I know for a fact that I will always love and be passionate about books. Since last February, I have never once seriously considered stopping blogging. It's what I do. It's what makes me different from others, and I have come to realize that I like being different. It has taught me so many life lessons about accountability, responsibility, and productivity. 



But I know sometimes you have to take a break, even if it's from the thing you love.

For now, I'm in a slump but I promise I am going to come back stronger and harder and better than ever before when it happens. It's tough that all three slumps hit at the exact time. Heck, it's tough that I even sat down to write this post.... that's how deep into this slump I am. Please don't even talk to me about what I'm currently reading.

However, the one difference I have noticed between this slump and previous ones, it that I'm okay with being in a slump. I would have been giving myself a heart attack this time last year if I had experienced the same feelings I do now. But I know the blogosphere will always be there for me when I'm ready to come back full force, raring to go. 

You probably saw the less than a thousand word-count for this post and wanted to faint because Sofia's posts are never this short, but there is a first time for everything. Feel free to tell me how you deal with productivity slumps and your solutions. Do you beat yourself up about it or do you just let it go? I'd love to discuss :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...